Scouts Canada, the country’s leading youth organization, offers challenging programs for boys, girls and youth age 5-26 in thousands of individual groups in most cities and towns across Canada.
Scouts Canada + STEM
Scouts Canada, the Imperial Oil Foundation and Exxon Mobile Canada have partnered to promote interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) among Scouting youth.
The new Scouts Canada STEM program is designed to ignite curiosity, foster innovation, and create a climate in which youth can see themselves as future leaders of science and technology, limited only by the boundaries of their imagination.
Find out more about the STEM Program http://www.scouts.ca/stem
STEM Kits to Borrow
Space Exploration Kits
The Space Exploration Kit is the product of a collaboration between Canada Science and Technology Museum and Scout Canada's STEM program. The kit provides activity cards and materials for seven STEM projects that can be done over the course of a few weeks in Cub Pack meetings, or during a weekend camp. The kit contains:
- Activity cards: These cards include some background information, instructions on how to Plan, Do, and Review the activities. They also list the materials that are needed for each activity, and the approximate amount of time it takes to complete each part of the activity.
- Activity materials and equipment: Most of the materials and equipment needed for completing the activities are in the kit. In some cases, materials will need to be provided, those items are specified on the activity cards.
- Background information and Scouter manual: This document includes more detailed information about the STEM concepts behind each activity, supporting documents for each activity, and some alternative additional activities that complement the package.
Find out more about the STEM Space Exploration Kit.
The deposit fee for this kit is $50 and a $30 rental fee pays for the consumable materials in this kit. Contact the Toronto Scout Shop at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-490-6313 to book and borrow the kit.
The Robotics Kits were developed to introduce Scouts and Venturer Scouts to the operation and programming of electronic robots. The kit include activities that explore the theme of space exploration and introduce youth to basic programming. Each kit includes a robot, computer, Adventure Book and Scouter Manual that will help get you started.
Scouts can follow the scenario that is laid out in the Adventure Book and program the robot to explore new planets for signs of life, or alternatively, they can come up with their own plan and design their own activities (for example, robots can be programmed to explore a mining shaft and detect explosive gasses and flooding).
Find out more about the STEM Robotics Kit.
The deposit fee for this kit is $50. Contact the Toronto Scout Shop at email@example.com or 416-490-6313 to book and borrow the kit.
The STEM program is currently in the pilot stage and is scheduled to launch in 2015. In the meantime, we have a few STEM activities you can try out with your youth. But before you start, please take a few minutes to review some basic principles of our STEM program:
- You don’t have to be an expert on everything. Don’t be afraid to let your Scouting youth know that you are learning too;
- Provide a time for questions after the activity. You don’t need to know all the answers, but you can nurture curiosity;
- Allow your Scouting youth to experiment freely. The beauty of it all is that if it does not work, they can try again;
- Think of ways the youth can make a difference in their community using their STEM knowledge and skills. A deep meaning makes learning much more rewarding and effective; and
- Encourage everyone to participate!
Find out more about all STEM Activities.
Simply choose your Section from the options below and browse the activities. Then download the Adventure Card, review the supplementary materials and you are set to go!